The much-anticipated A Good Day to Die Hard opens in theaters this Thursday, and fans can't wait to get a look at the fifth film in the action-packed franchise. Here are 8 fun facts about the movie starring Bruce Willis, Jai Courtney, and Sebastian Koch.
- The film was originally titled Die Hard 24/7 which caused many to speculate there’d be a crossover between the 24 television series and the Die Hard franchise. However, the studio never confirmed the rumors and eventually dropped the 24/7 altogether.
- Jai Courtney ultimately got the role of Jack McClane, John McClane’s son, but several other actors were up for the part. Potential Jacks included Liam Hemsworth, Aaron Paul, James Badge Dale, and Paul Walker.
- Russian supermodel Anne Vyalitsyna also has a role in the film, though it’s not clear who she’ll play. Yuliya Snigir, also of Russia, plays the villain’s daughter.
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead returns as Lucy McClane, John’s oldest child. Other than Bruce Willis, she is only one of four actors to appear in two Die Hard films. However, Willis hopes to bring Bonnie Bedelia, Mrs. McClane, back.
- Bruce Willis is the only cast member to appear in all five Die Hard films, as well as the only person on the crew to work on all five.
- Though much of the film is set in Moscow, the city scenes were actually shot in Budapest, Hungary.
- None of the members of the Russian gang are actually from Russia. The actors instead hail from Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Mongolia, and Ukraine.
- Bruce Willis hopes to shoot a sixth Die Hard film before retiring the grizzled character of John McClane.
A Good Day to Die Hard hits theaters this Thursday, which also happens to be Valentine’s Day. What’s more romantic than snuggling with your sweetie and watching John McClane kick a lot of ass?